Day 30 : Finale and review

The last day was a pretty straightforward lunchtime run. 

What have I learnt overall?

Well, the challenge was mostly over July there - so it seems it's not made me do more per se than the previous month. That said, the rings completion occurred 5 times more than it did in June, so the effort was more evenly spread.

I'm definitely feeling more energetic and healthy, but I think that the rings are only part of that. The complete picture includes things like how stressful work is (not especially at the moment, which is nice), how much sleep I'm getting (I'm getting plenty, although it's very much feast and famine - I tend to get 8, 6 or 4 hours, depending on whether it's a quiet night, a busy night, or a party!) and what the diet is like too... to have all those as metrics would maybe be a little too much effort to realistically record day in day out.

I liked the weights workouts, where I had to keep lifting weights until the ring was complete. This made me pay more attention to a goal. For the past year, my weights workouts have been time-limited, as I go in my lunch-hour, whereby the aim was just to bust out as many sets as I could in half an hour. Having a goal kept me focussed but also meant that I'd do the sessions of an evening, and were a little more relaxed.

What did I learn from the failures?
There were days when I just wasn't motivated enough; which I'm okay with. There were days when I wasn't in the mood, but thought "I'll do it anyway" which is what the challenge really helped with. There were other days when I was ill, or just really hacked off with life, and in no mood to work out.
Some of those days were non-working days, where I'd always assumed I'd definitely hit the target. Not so, and it pays to keep moving if you want to hit the target without doing a designated workout. 
Other days, where I was close, but the only way to get over the line was to get on the bike, and ended up doing lots more than usual. Nice if the option is there.

Overall, I liked the challenge, but it'd be nice to complete it. Might give it another go soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 5 : Hot mag session

Day 11 : Commute by Bike

Day 18 - Weights to finish